Dispose of Medication
Don't Flush That Leftover Medicine!
Outdated or unwanted prescription medications can be taken to the Citrus County Sheriff's Office for disposal in Inverness Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and on Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. For more information call (352) 726-4488.
By flushing medication down the toilet, it can cause contamination to Florida’s aquatic environment because wastewater treatment systems are not designed to remove many of these medications.
To protect the environment, please use these guidelines instead of flushing medications.
- Keep in the original container. This will help identify the contents if they are accidentally ingested.
- Mark out your name & prescription number for safety.
- In its container: For pills - add some water or soda to start dissolving them. For liquids - add something inedible like cat litter or dirt. Close the lid and secure with duct tape or packing tape.
- Place the bottle(s) inside an opaque (non see-through) container like a detergent container. Tape the container closed. Hide the container in the trash. Do not put it in the recycle bin.
- DO NOT give drugs to anyone else. DO NOT flush drugs down the toilet. DO NOT put drugs in the trash without disguising them first - human or animal scavengers may find them and misuse them.