Save Our Waters Week
A Growing Idea
Our goal is to reduce marine debris and enhance marine conservation from the shorelines, waterways, and beaches in Citrus County through annual debris “clean-ups”. The annual cleanup is accomplished through the local efforts of citizens and organized groups, as part of Citrus 20/20’s Save Our Waters Week; a program committed to focusing public attention on preserving Citrus County’s aquifers, springs, rivers, lakes and coastal estuaries.
2016 Save Our Waters Week Cleanup Information
September 17, 2016
- Featured Activities
- 30th Anniversary International Coastal Cleanup Report
670 volunteers - 5,475 lbs. / 2.77 tons of debris collected
725 volunteers - 6,342 lbs. / 3.17 tons of debris collected
863 volunteers - 6,240 lbs. / 3.12 tons of debris collected
439 volunteers - 2,560 lbs. / 1.28 tons of debris collected
586 volunteers - 8,180 lbs. / 4.09 tons of debris collected
586 volunteers - 5,540 lbs. / 2.77 tons of debris collected
- To remove debris from the shorelines, waterways, and beaches of the world's lakes, rivers, and oceans
- To collect valuable information on the amounts and types of debris
- To educate people on the issue of marine debris
- To use the information collected from the cleanup to effect positive change - on all levels, from the individual to the international and to reduce marine debris and enhance marine conservation
The Lakes, Rivers & Coastal Cleanup is held each September. Applications and information can be found online prior to the cleanup. One member from each group must attend the safety meeting that is held just before the cleanup. At that time, all supplies which include: shirts, gloves, hats, data cards, trash bags, pencils, etc. will be distributed to the proper representative to pass along to their organization.
Even though the debris has decreased through the past years, it just goes to show that together, everyone can make a difference by helping to clean Citrus County’s beautiful waterways!
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the participants that have helped out in the past and would like to invite any and all residents to help out in the future.