Jimmie Smith - Commissioner
County Commission District 3
Commissioner Jimmie Smith started his term with the Board of County Commission on November 15, 2016.
4 Year Term
Expiration of Current Term of Office:
He currently serves as:
- Alternate Committee Member of Hernando/Citrus Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Committee Member of Citrus, Levy, Marion Regional Workforce Development
- Committee Member of Value Adjustment Board
- Committee Member of Transportation Disadvantaged Coordinating Council
- Committee Member Small County Coalition Board of Directors (2nd Alternate)
- Tampa Bay Partnership Committee
- Liaison to Governor and Cabinet
- Liaison to State Representative Ralph Massullo
Other Public Service:
- Served as a Member of the Florida House of Representatives; Chair of the Veterans and Military Affairs Sub-committee; Member of the Local and Federal Affairs Sub-Committee, the Agriculture and Natural Resources Sub-Committee, Government Operations Sub-committee and Local Government Affairs Sub-committee
- 1983 - 2003: Served in the United States Army in both the 101st Airborne Division and the 82nd Airborne Division. Retired at the Rank of Staff Sergeant.
- Member of Sertoma
- Member of the VFW
- Member of the American Legion
- Formerly Member of the Kiwanis Club
- Formerly Member of the Young Marine Program
Commissioner Smith was born in New Jersey on Oct 12th 1965 and is one of 15 children. In 1975 his family moved to Citrus County Florida. Commissioner Smith is married to the former Victoria Hoag and father of Gabriella, step father to Christopher and has three grandchildren Christopher, Eva and Damon.
On February 14 1983, Commissioner Smith Joined the Army at the age of 17. He served in such distinguished units as the 101st Airborne (Air Assault) Division and the 82nd Airborne Division. Commissioner Smith retired on March 1, 2003 at the Rank of Staff Sergeant.
Since being retired, Commissioner Smith has been a member of the Kiwanis, the Young Marine program and is currently a member of Sertoma, the VFW, the American Legion and other community organizations.
As a Member of the Florida House of Representatives, then Representative Smith was Chair of the Veterans and Military Affairs Sub-committee, as well as a member of the Local and Federal Affairs Sub-Committee, the Agriculture and Natural Resources Sub-Committee, Government Operations Sub-committee and Local Government Affairs Sub-committee
To date Commissioner Smith’s main achievement has been to modernize government by requiring all State agencies, Local agencies and Special districts put their budgets on the internet.
Sponsored a bill, that led to a nationwide change in veteran’s tuition, helping encourage other veterans to come to Florida to better our workforce. As well as a bill to create career paths for certain veterans when then leave to rejoin the civilian sector.
Commissioner, Smith worked in support of the needs of the AG industry as well as working to fight fraud, waste, and abuse of taxpayers’ dollars in the entitlement system.