|ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATION: AR: 3.04-9
|DATE APPROVED: September 13, 2016
|SUBJECT: Board Appointments
|ORIGINATING DEPARTMENT: Administration
- It is the intent of the Board of County Commissioners to appoint the best-qualified people to Boards and Committees established to advance County business.
- Within the context of appointing the most qualified people to County boards, the Board of County Commissioners will make every effort to make “balanced” appointments to reflect a cross-section of the community, including economic, social, geographic, and employment factors. Whenever allowed by law, the Board of County Commissioners will make every effort to appoint at least one (1) member of each County board from each County Commission District.
- In keeping with the Board of County Commissioners’ intent to appoint a cross-section of the most qualified people to a particular board and to insure involvement by the citizens, it shall be the Board of County Commissioners’ policy, notwithstanding attendance requirements outlined in particular laws and/or ordinances setting up specific boards, that any board member missing three (3) consecutive meetings in a twelve (12)-month period of the regularly scheduled meetings of a particular board, shall automatically be removed from that board.
- As the membership qualifications and terms are specifically set by State law and/or ordinance, this Administrative Regulation shall not apply in any respect to membership on the following boards or committees:
All other boards or committees that have different terms than stated herein shall be governed as provided for by ordinance or State law.
e. The Board hereby establishes the following guidelines:
- When boards include appointed alternate members, attendance for such alternate members shall consist of an appearance at all duly noticed board meetings. They are to make their presence and availability known to the board’s secretary and await the convenience of the meeting. In the event a full board of regular members is present, the alternate members may then leave provided it is established that their presence is no longer required. They will be counted as present. Board members and alternate members shall inform the board’s secretary as soon as possible before a meeting when he or she has a possible conflict of interest, which would restrict their participation in board meetings.
- It is intended that alternate members shall be seated in rotation, as needed. When both alternates are seated for a meeting, the order of rotation shall carry forward to the next meeting.
- When a vacancy occurs, the alternate members shall be given priority consideration for appointment to a board (based on seniority) unless a specific requirement for that vacancy, (e.g., occupation or district) prohibits that consideration.
- A member of the public may serve on more than one board simultaneously provided only one of the boards shall have final decision-making authority. Those Boards with final decision-making authority are the Code Review & Appeals Board, Water & Wastewater Authority, and Planning & Development Commission Board.
- All persons being considered for an advisory board position will be an elector of Citrus County.
- Appointments shall be established on a staggered schedule to ensure continuity of operations and avoid large scale turnover.
- Terms shall be adjusted when possible to terminate on January 31st of any given calendar year.
- Interim appointments shall serve until the completion of the term of the prior appointee.
Prior to consideration for appointment to any County board, all prospective board appointees shall be required to file an application with the Board of County Commissioners. A resume should be included outlining their qualifications for any board on which they wish to serve.
- The secretary/staff member serving the Advisory Board/Committee shall be responsible for maintaining the list of applicants. A copy of all applications and resumes must also be sent to the Agenda Coordinator. Applications shall be maintained for one calendar year by the secretary/staff member and the Agenda Coordinator. Applicants will be contacted by the secretary/staff member serving the Advisory Board/ Committee for each vacancy prior to submitting their name for Nomination. During the month of November, reaffirm interest in continuing to serve on the Board If current members wish to be considered for reappointment.
- The process for appointment to an Advisory Board/Committee requires two consecutive Board of County Commissioners’ meetings to accomplish: 1) announcement, 2) nomination and appointment of Board positions. Before announcing vacancy or expiration of terms, contact Public Information Officer to send out press release for any interested applicants.
- ANNOUNCEMENT- As board vacancies occur, an Agenda item will be generated electronically by the secretary/staff member for placement on the Advisory Board Announcements, Nominations & Appointments portion of the agenda to have the Chairman announce the vacancy at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of County Commissioners. The secretary/staff member shall also call the Agenda Coordinator to confirm the applicants before the announcement. When a vacancy occurs that is of a specific requirement for the vacancy (occupation or district) an agenda item for each position is required. A copy of the current roster shall be included with the agenda item. The Brief Overview and Recommended Action of the Agenda Memorandum will state as follows:
- For an individual resigning (resignation letter and or email, should be attached to the backup):
|Accept with regret the resignation of (name) from the (board) and announce a vacancy for an unexpired term that will expire on (date).
- For expiration of term:
|Announce terms of expiration for the (regular, alternate, etc.) member position on the (board). The (se) term(s) expire (d) on (date). The new term (s) will be for (one, two, etc.) years and (will) expire (d) on (date).
- NOMINATION & APPOINTMENTS – For the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of County Commissioners (provided there are enough applicants to fill the position(s) at the time), an Agenda item will be generated electronically by the secretary/staff member for placement on the portion of the agenda labeled Board Announcement, Nominations and Appointments to fill the vacant board positions. When a vacancy occurs that is of a specific requirement for the vacancy (occupation or district) an agenda item for each position is required. A copy of the current roster must be included in the backup with the agenda item. Nominations/Appointments shall be made, and if the Board of County Commissioners so wishes, closed at that time. The Brief Overview and Recommended Action on the Agenda Memorandum will state as follows:
- Replacing an individual:
|Nominate and Appoint an individual(s) to the (board) as a (regular, alternate, etc.) member(s) to fill an unexpired term that will expire on (date).
- For expiration of term:
|Nominate and Appoint an individual(s) to the (board) as a (regular, alternate, etc.) member(s) to fill a term that (will) expire(d) on (date). The new term will be for (one, two, etc.) years and will expire on date).
Note: The Brief Overview will list the names of the individual(s) who wish to be nominated and appointed, including those who wish to be re-appointed. The backup will include the applications and resumes for each new applicant and for those wishing to be re-appointed there will be letters requesting their desire to be re-appointed. A copy of the current roster must be included in the backup. Once nominations and appointments are closed by the Board of County Commissioners, staff will contact all applicants to inform them of the status as to whether they were nominated/appointed or not.
c. Re-appoint a board member:
| Re-appoint (name) to the (board) for a term(s) that (will) expire(d) on (date). The new term will be for (one, two, etc.) year(s) and will expire on (date) .
- Once the nominee has been appointed, a letter of Thanks should be sent to each applicant for their willingness to serve Citrus County and or a Congratulation letter to those selected. Included in the letter of congratulations should be the dates, place and time of the meetings.
- In the event there is more than one individual nominated for board appointment, the decision shall be made by open ballot. Each member of the Board of County Commissioners shall write the name of the person they desire to have appointed on a ballot to be passed to the County Attorney for reading into the public record. The applicant with the least number of votes shall be eliminated until a majority of the Board of County Commissioners cast their ballots for a prospective applicant. The Board of County Commissioners shall follow the same procedure each time they vote. The ballots shall be a public record and retained by the Clerk as prescribed by law.
- When terms expire, the current member will be asked to submit a letter of intention regarding their desire to be reappointed. If they wish to be reappointed, their letter of intention, together with applications from any and all qualified applicants will be placed on the Board of County Commissioners agenda for consideration.
- In the event of a conflict between the policies and procedures of this Administrative Regulation and the ordinance, statue or resolution establishing a board, the ordinance, statue or resolution shall prevail.
FOOTNOTES & REFERENCES TO RELATED AR’s: Supersedes: AR 3.04-8 dated June 10, 2014: AR 3.04 dated December 7, 1993; AR 3.04-1 dated December 6, 1994; AR 3.04-2 dated November 14, 1995; AR 3.04-3 dated November 4, 1997; AR 3.04-4 dated March 24, 1998; AR 3.04-5 dated October 14, 2003; AR 3.04-6 dated January 9, 2007; AR 3.04-7 dated February 23, 2010. June 10, 2014.