Check back soon for the next class date.
NOTE: If the class is full, interested citizens are encouraged to submit an application to have their name placed on a waiting list in case of a cancellation or as a place holder for the next session.
Contact: Doug Wright at 352-341-6560 for more information.
Citrus County Citizens Academy is an interactive program that focuses on educating citizens about the County’s governmental operations. Elected Officials, Department Directors and other county staff will host unique and informative sessions designed to give citizens hands-on experience in county government operations.
- Application (The Fall 2022 session is full. Please check back for our 2023 Spring session.)
If you would like an up-close and personal look at Citrus County government... then this is the class for you!
And It's Free!
Citizens Academy Graduates-Fall 2019
Citrus County Commissioners
110 N. Apopka Ave.
Inverness, FL. 34450
The Goal is to create informed Citizens who understand the board's responsibilities and capabilities, how to taxpayer's resources are utilized in the various departments, how the county is structured and basic functions of county departments.
- There are various field trips via county buses during the sessions. Departments and divisions covered include, for example, Planning & Development, Building, Management and Budget, Systems Management, Public Works, Community Services, Parks and Recreation, and Code Compliance, as well as numerous others.
- There are no qualifications needed other than being a resident of the county and interested in how it works, and the only requirement of the class is attendance.
- Registration is on a first come, first served basis. If more than the allotted slots are requested, the names will be put on a waiting list in the order they were received for the next session.
- The course does not cover the other elected constitutional offices, such as the County Court Clerk, the Property Appraiser, Supervisor of Elections, Tax Collector, and Sheriff, except for cooperative programs with the commission and how their budgets are part of the overall county budget.