Citrus County Strategic Plan
"Where nature and community thrive."
Our Vision: A welcoming, economically vibrant community where people and nature live in harmony.
Our Mission: To manage growth and foster prosperity by prioritizing the protection of environmental assets, the development and maintenance of infrastructure, and the health, safety, and well-being of its citizens.
- Update and retain a dynamic Comprehensive Plan that implements smart growth strategies to guide future development.
- Lead and manage through multiple partnerships to attract and retain talent to grow and diversify the local economy.
- Prioritize the protection and improvement of environmental assets.
- Cultivate an environment that encourages entrepreneurial spirit and economic development while ensuring all citizens are connected to resources that provide a path to prosperity.
- Invest in infrastructure sufficient to support protected growth with priority given to correcting current infrastructure deficits.
- Develop/establish a comprehensive system of care for mental and physical health that will address the growing need for services by all citizens.
- Broaden the county’s tax base and plan for early education to develop skills needed to ensure a prosperous future to cultivate business growth.
- Provide fiscal and environmental stewardship and facilitate the growth of the county’s healthcare, medical, and public safety workforce.
2023 Targets for Action
The Citrus County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) held a Strategic Planning Retreat on Wednesday, January 25, 2023, at the Lecanto Government Building. This goal-setting session provided an opportunity for commissioners to discuss, plan, and prioritize programs, projects, and issues facing Citrus County.
During the retreat, individual commissioner priorities were discussed at length and prioritized based on group consensus. Over the coming weeks, staff will provide the Board with targets for action and next steps towards the completion of the following goals:
- County Road 491 Expansion
- New Animal Shelter Facility
- Behavioral Health Facility & Services
- Barge Canal Boat Ramp
- Inverness Business-Industrial Park: Phase I
- Crystal River Airport Runway Extension & Expansion
- Class & Pay Study for BOCC Staff
- Identifying & Evaluate Alternative Funding Sources
- Evaluate Current Funding Sources
- Transportation Concurrency Discussion
- Infrastructure Master Plan
- Beverly Hills/Central Ridge Park Master Plan
- Strategic Planning Implementation
- Communications Plan Development & Brand-Building
- Beautify Citrus Campaign (Litter Control & Enforcement, Wayfinding Signage)
April 2022: FSU FIOG Hosts Community Input Sessions & Strategic Planning Workshop
May 2022: Draft Plan to BOCC for Public Input & Approval
June 2022: Staff Begins Developing Strategic Goals for FY23-24
October 2022: Public Input Period for Strategic Initiatives
January 2023: Discussion of Targets for Action at BOCC Planning Retreat
April 2023: Staff Submits Budget Requests Tied to Strategic Goals
July 2023: BOCC Mid-Year Strategic Planning Review
October 2023: FY2023-2024 Begins
2025 - 2027: First Strategic Plan Review Process Begins
For more information on the strategic planning process, or to schedule a speaker for your association or organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.