Fire Hydrant Installation Program
A fire hydrant that is leaking, broken, missing caps or has been used by someone other than the Fire Department or the Utilities Division personnel, should be reported to the Utilities Division.
Fire Hydrants are used for fire suppression and to flush the public water supply to improve water aesthetics.
- Unauthorized use of a fire hydrant can cause significant damage to the distribution system, the hydrant and your home or business plumbing.
- Unauthorized use of a fire hydrant can cause low pressure in the distribution system causing back-siphonage introducing foreign substances into the public water system.
- Unauthorized use of a fire hydrant can cause low pressure in the distribution system restricting the water supply for firefighting.
- Do not block a fire hydrant by parking a vehicle next to it allow no less than 15 feet from any direction.
- Do not plant flowers or shrubs around fire hydrants. Maintain a clearing of 3 feet on any direction.
- Unauthorized use of a fire hydrant will be reported to the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office for investigation.
Citrus County has an ongoing fire hydrant installation program in the areas of existing water service to enhance fire protection.