- All Districts Map
- Voting History at Meetings
- Email: email@example.com
Hard work and faith in God come naturally to Rebecca Bays. Born in the Midwest to timber farmers, Rebecca learned the value of work at age 7, when she began helping her parents with daily farm chores – on weekends and before and after school. When her family was not working and the church doors were open, that’s where you would find her.
Rebecca worked her way through the corporate ranks serving as the Vice President of the largest trust and financial service providers nationally. Raised in a family of entrepreneurs, she opened and owned her own insurance agency, Insurance Resources and Risk Management, which she recently sold to make more time to serve her community.In 2010 Bays was elected and served her first term as a Citrus County Commissioner, joining the Board during one of the most difficult economic downturns the County has ever seen. More than 600 jobs were lost when the power plant was shut down. Rebecca used her business acumen to help lead Citrus out of the crisis. She helped protect Three Sisters Springs from condo development, prioritizing the environment and protecting our way of life, which she will continue to do again as Citrus County Commissioner.
Respected in civic circles around Citrus County, Rebecca has volunteered for various non-profit organizations:
- Current Chair of the Duval Preservation Trust
- Governor Appointee to I-75 Task Force
- Citrus Operating Board of the American Cancer Society
- Board of Directors for the Florida Wildlife Corridor
- Citrus Leadership Council for Big Brothers and Big Sisters
- Board of Directors for the Citrus County Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Coastal Conservation Association
- Chair of Citrus County Tourist Development Council (TDC)
- Secretary of TBARTA and Chair of Legislative Committees
- Vice Chair of Hernando/Citrus MPO
- Vice Chair of Florida Association of Counties Legislative Policy Committee Growth Management, Agricultural, Environmental and Transportation
- Board member of Withlacoochee Regional Water Supply Authority
- Board member of Florida Medical Examiner, District 5
- Board member of the BP Oil Spill Gulf Consortium
- Event Fundraising for The United Way of Citrus County
- Managed Growth Plan
For the last few years, we have seen growth in unprecedented ways in our county. This growth has led to more development in many sectors especially in new home construction. Our challenge moving forward is managing this growth in a positive manner where we can continue to grow without sacrificing our special environment. They call this the Nature Coast for a reason and we should embrace that moniker and be good stewards to our county.
- Development of a Strategic 5-year Budget Plan
Our challenge is to design a realistic game plan that relies on our strengths to provide the services our businesses, residents, and visitors depend on. Don’t labor on past or present but look to the future and develop a long-term approach to strategic and business planning and financial management that allows us to grab opportunity when it’s knocking on the door.
- Public Safety
The need for public safety funding includes not only the Sheriff but also the EMS, Mental Health, and School Resource Officers. Protecting our most vulnerable is a high priority however achieving this means modernizing how we fund services.
Rebecca and her husband, Mike (a longtime State Farm agent and local business owner) enjoy fishing, bow hunting and are outdoor enthusiasts. They attend Seven Rivers Presbyterian Church in Lecanto.
Following in her parents’ footsteps, Rebecca currently owns Freedom Hill Farm, a landscape tree nursery.Election Period: November 2022
4 Year Term
Expiration of Current Term of Office: November 2026
currently serves as:
Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council
Withlacoochee Regional Water Supply Authority
Small County Coalition
Gulf Coast Consortium
Hernando/Citrus Metropolitan Planning Organization - Alternate
Liaison to Congressman Gus Bilirakis
Springs Steering Committee
Public Safety Coordinating Council