HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program

Icon - Tenant Portal (PNG)

The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program combines Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  VA provides these services for participating Veterans at VA medical centers (VAMCs) and community-based outreach clinics.

Generally, the HUD-VASH program is administered in accordance with regular HCV program requirements (24 CFR Section 982). However, the 2008 Consolidated Appropriations Act (Public Law 110-161) allows HUD to waive or specify alternative requirements for any provision of any statute or regulation affecting the HCV program to effectively deliver and administer HUD-VASH voucher assistance.  The alternative requirements are established in the HUD-VASH Operating Requirements (including the waivers and alternative requirements from HCV program rules), which were published in the Federal Register on May 6, 2008.

HUD VASH vouchers are rental vouchers used specifically for homeless veterans. Currently Citrus County Housing Services has received 82 VASH vouchers.  Families are determined eligible through the Department of Veterans Affairs and sent as a referral to Citrus County Housing Services for rental assistance.  The VA is responsible to determine the eligibility of the veterans and Citrus County Housing Services is responsible to determine income eligibility as well as ensure family is not a registered sexual offender. The family is required to receive case management from the VA until the VA determines it is no longer necessary. Families who do not comply with case management service will be terminated from the HUD-VASH program.

If you are a homeless veteran, please contact The James A. Haley Medical Center of The Department of Veterans Affairs located at 13000 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, Tampa FL 813 972-2000.

If you have further questions regarding the HUD VASH Voucher Program, please contact Heather Roberson, Senior Occupancy Specialist at