Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
Citrus County Allocation (07/01/2021-09/30/2023): $56,556Citrus County Housing Services is now offering the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). This program will assist low-income families with their water and wastewater bills. Payments will be made directly to the household’s utility company.
The primary goal of LIHWAP is to retain continuity of water services to low-income households in Florida with an emphasis on prevention of disconnection and restoration
of water services to households whose water services were previously disconnected.Participating Utility Companies:
Below are the utility companies that are participating in the LIHWAP program:
- Citrus County Utilities
- City of Crystal River Utilities
- City of Inverness Utilities
- Floral City Water Association, Inc.
Eligibility for participation in LIHWAP is established according to the federal income guidelines and must be at or below 100% of poverty level for household size of 1 to 8, and 150% of poverty level for household size of 9 to 20.
Maximum annual income:
Household of 1 is $27,735
Household of 5 is $61,870
Household of 2 is $36,269
Household of 6 is $70,404
Household of 3 is $44,803
Household of 7 is $72,004
Household of 4 is $53,337
Household of 8 is $73,605
If you believe you meet the above criteria, and are interested in applying, please call our automated toll-free line (424) 389-4290 to schedule an appointment.
Below are the required documents needed at the time of appointment:
- Photo ID for all adult household members
- Social Security cards for everyone in the household
- Food Stamp card or current letter (if receiving)
- Current water and/or wastewater bill
- Proof of Income (legal documents for each that applies)
- Payroll – 1 month current and consecutive payroll stubs.
- Social Security – Current year benefit letter.
- Veterans Benefits – Current year benefit letter
- Pensions/Retirement – Current year benefit letter
- Child Support – 30-day payment history, current and consecutive
- Cash Assistance – ie: TANF, AFDC, relative caregiver
- School Financial Aid – If partial is for living expenses
- Signed lease or proof of ownership (if a deposit is required for restoration of services)
Assistance is available year-round, first come, first served based on eligibility and availability of funds.Scheduling an Appointment:
LIHWAP assistance is by APPOINTMENT ONLY by calling the LIHWAP Automated Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Appointment Line: (424) 389-4290
The toll-free service is available 24/7. Callers who require special assistance can connect directly to a live operator by following the phone menu prompts, Monday through Friday, from 10:00 am to 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.